Amazon Hack/Scam Revealed!
I've bought lots of stuff from Amazon.com over the past few years, and until recently I was always pleased and satisfied with my purchases.
Recently, I searched Amazon's site for a pair of Sony in-ear headphones. They generally cost around fifty bucks, but I found a pair from one of Amazon's vendors for the amazingly low price of $17.95. Well, naturally I bought them, thinking I'd made a great deal.
Not so fast. When I checked my bank account online the next day, the charge from the vendor was $70+!
Yup, they only charged me the $17.95 for the phones, and then charged me over $53 for shipping!
You need to keep in mind that this set of headphones weighs maybe - maybe - 2 oz.
So, the scam is to quote an impressively - not impossibly, just impressively - low price for the item, and then stick it to you for the shipping. Of course, the shipping part doesn't show until you've already bought the item. To add insult to injury, the scamsters have posted a lot of obviously bogus positive feedback about themselves, to attempt to counteract the irate postings of others who've been ripped off. Grrr! Kill!
Also, you can't cancel your order once it's been processed, especially if you use the "Buy this item with 1-click" option. I've used it over and over for book purchases, and because Amazon limits the amount that can be charged for shipping/handling for any one book to $2.59, I've always been happy. Not so for their other types of vendors, as I now know.
I'm chalking this one up to live and learn, but what I'd really like to do is pay a personal visit to the worthless waste of space that pulled this scam and introduce them to my aluminum baseball bat. You know: "Bat, scumbag. Scumbag, bat." Like that.
So, watch out for this one. Amazon's Customer Service department e-mailed me after I complained and told me they'd "look into it," etc. I'm thrilled.
So, remember, everything's a scam these days, unfortunately.
Recently, I searched Amazon's site for a pair of Sony in-ear headphones. They generally cost around fifty bucks, but I found a pair from one of Amazon's vendors for the amazingly low price of $17.95. Well, naturally I bought them, thinking I'd made a great deal.
Not so fast. When I checked my bank account online the next day, the charge from the vendor was $70+!
Yup, they only charged me the $17.95 for the phones, and then charged me over $53 for shipping!
You need to keep in mind that this set of headphones weighs maybe - maybe - 2 oz.
So, the scam is to quote an impressively - not impossibly, just impressively - low price for the item, and then stick it to you for the shipping. Of course, the shipping part doesn't show until you've already bought the item. To add insult to injury, the scamsters have posted a lot of obviously bogus positive feedback about themselves, to attempt to counteract the irate postings of others who've been ripped off. Grrr! Kill!
Also, you can't cancel your order once it's been processed, especially if you use the "Buy this item with 1-click" option. I've used it over and over for book purchases, and because Amazon limits the amount that can be charged for shipping/handling for any one book to $2.59, I've always been happy. Not so for their other types of vendors, as I now know.
I'm chalking this one up to live and learn, but what I'd really like to do is pay a personal visit to the worthless waste of space that pulled this scam and introduce them to my aluminum baseball bat. You know: "Bat, scumbag. Scumbag, bat." Like that.
So, watch out for this one. Amazon's Customer Service department e-mailed me after I complained and told me they'd "look into it," etc. I'm thrilled.
So, remember, everything's a scam these days, unfortunately.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home